Symbian being kept aside in the wars of the most geeky smartphone operation systems, the iOS4 and Android are the strongest competitors, and so to join the league of tablet devices, Samsung just released the details of Samsung Galaxy Tab device, which is going to compete the Apple iPad device. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is based on Android OS, i.e. the latest one 2.2 version named Froyo.
Here is the comparison of both of the devices in all the specification aspects –
The design and dimensions
The iPad is 9.7″ wide diagonally and the Samsung Galaxy Tab would be 7″ wide. The display of the iPad would be LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology, but Samsung Galaxy Tab would come with TFT-LCD, and the screen resolution being 1024 x 768 pixels and 1024 x 600 pixels respectively. The touchscreen would be through the TouchWiz UI that was in the Samsung Galaxy S, which should be having the multi-touch interface.
Processor, memory and storage
The iPad is powered with 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip, whereas the Samsung Galaxy Tab is powered by Cortex A8 1.0GHz processor and a PowerVR SGX540 GPU and a RAM of 512 MB.
The storage offered is not much different, as iPad has different models based on the storage size i.e. 16GB, 32GB and 64GB while the Samsung Galaxy Tab has internal memory of 16/32GB which can be expanded by using upto 32GB external memory.
The Apple iPad has the Accelerometer and Ambient light sensor, whereas Samsung Galaxy S goes a step ahead by possessing even the Gyroscope sensor, Geo-magnetic sensor apart from the Accelerometer and Light sensor. The connectivity is nearly the same having 3G, Wi-Fi 802.11n but Bluetooth in Galaxy Tab is of 3.0 technology, and iPad has just the 2.1+ technology and that too we have never seen iPad being open and connective to all the bluetooth enabled devices.
Where the Samsung Galaxy Tab is advantageous –
- FLASH – Apple doesn’t have that. None of the Apple small gadgets have the flash support, and we won’t be seeing that for a long time, as Steve Jobs has already said he doesn’t need Adobe’s support.
- Camera – The Samsung Galaxy Tab flaunts 2 cameras, one the rear camera with the capability of recording HD videos, and a front facing camera which helps in video conferencing. The iPad has no cameras.
- Android OS – The open-source operating system, is the better operating system than the iOS4 being open for any developers and has quite many advantages.
- Call and tethering – This all is possible through the SIM and the 3G network through the Tab when compared to the iPad.
- Multitasking – This is possible in this android based device, better than the iPad in which the same would come probably in November when the iOS 4.2 would be released.
Where the Apple iPad is advantageous –
- Battery life – Yeah, iPad is providing just more than the 8 hours of promised battery life and I’ve tested it. But rumors and news say the Galaxy Tab has a lesser battery life. A big plus point for iPad.
- Larger screen – The iPad is more an entertainment device due to its bigger size and screen resolution, better for movie viewing, and photo gallery browsing, at least better than the Galaxy Tab.