Have you ever wanted to have a face recognition type of software tool for your Windows based operating system then this can be fulfilled by using the software tool called the Luxand Blink.
The Luxand Blink is basically a biometric PC access application which enables the user to log into the Windows by the face recognition technique which is captured by the webcam. The
Luxand Blink is a biometric PC access application that enables the user to log in to Windows by face, which is captured by the webcam, matched against the registered profile and is then identified by the application.
This application tool is an easy to log in the system as there is no need to enter user name and password on Windows startup, or even when the system gets locked. The logon process is completely automatic and based on received biometric data at the time of first registration. All you will be requiring to get started is a Windows based PC, a webcam along with a free space of at least 20MB in the hard disk. Currently, Luxand Blink is compatible on Windows Vista and also on the latest Windows 7 platform.
For installing the Luxand Blink!, you will need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- First you will need to click on LuxandBlink!Setup.exe to begin the installation process.
- As soon as you Click on Luxand Blink! Setup file, you will be asked to confirm the License agreement in the installation window to proceed.
- Now, proceed for the installation by clicking on I Agree.
- If you wish to install Luxand Blink in to a different folder, then click on Options, choose the path to install the program, select the folder in the Start menu and then click on OK.
- Click on Install Luxand Blink tab to begin the installation.
- Now, wait until the software is installed into the selected folder as shown in the below snap shot .
- Now, during the installation, the program will prompt you to select the webcam in between which is to be used for automatic login. Simply, select the required webcam from the list and click on Apply to proceed. The user can change the default webcam at any time by selecting the Camera option in the Settings window.
- When the software is installed, the Configuration wizard will appear which in turn marks the completion of successful installation.
How Blink Works
When your face is registered, you need to log in to Windows hands down and Simply need to look into the webcam and you are logged in without any user name and password. You can log in by face when the computer is locked, when you resume it from the Standby or Hibernation mode and when the current user logs off and the new user attempts to log in automatically.
- You will have to remember that you can still access your PC using your user name and password, rather than the webcam. After the installation, Luxand Blink! puts a small icon in the system tray.
- Just By double-clicking on the icon, you can bring up the Settings wizard where you can easily configure different application settings as per your requirements.
- For disabling the automatic face login, click the right mouse button on the tray icon and simply select Disable. Or, you can also open the Settings wizard and then click on the Disable tab.
- when face login is disabled, the tray icon looks like the below snap shot:
- To enable face login again, the user is required to right click on the tray icon and need to select Enable.
Both of the operating systems Windows 7 and Vista users can use Blink, which is a great free utility for letting you login to your computer using facial recognition. It’s actually pretty cool how it all works, and in my own testing I was surprised that it could pick me up even with modifications to my appearance.
Here’s an overview of the features offered by the app:
- You can login day or night. Sophisticated face recognition algorithms automatically adjust for varying lighting conditions, making login possible whether window or artificial lighting is used.
- With advanced biometric identification algorithms used in the software tool can enable it to adjust to changes in your personal appearance. Grow a beard or mustache, or shave it off. Use makeup or dye your hair. Wear or remove glasses or contact lenses – Blink! will recognize your and let you login to provide the access to the PC, no matter what.
Blink! provides additional security benefits by making it easier for you to automatically unlock your PCs by simply looking into a webcam. Stolen passwords are becoming less of an issue as Blink! photographs and timestamps you every time you login, whether you use a password or a biometric sign-in.