Another great Add-on for the firefox browser is the Firekeeper which scans all your incoming traffic to your firefox browser and detects the browser – based attacks providing a additional layer of security.It scans all the incoming traffic including the website URL, header and body part of the webpage. In case of compressed, secure and encypted pages it first decompresses or decrypts the content and then scans them.
Features of Firekeeper include:
* Ability to scan HTTP(S) request URL, response headers and body, and to cancel processing of suspicious requests
* Encrypted and compressed responses are scanned after decryption/decompression
* Privacy friendly – no data is send to external servers, all scanning is done on the local computer
* Very fast pattern matching algorithm (taken directly from Snort).
* Interactive, verbose alerts that give an ability to choose a response to detected attack attempt.
* A detailed view of suspicious response headers and body
* Event logging
* Ability to use any number of files with rules and to automatically load files from remote locations
Firekeeper scans all HTTP traffic and tries to look for patterns of browser based attacks against a set of rules. The rules for exploits and malwares are set by default and you can create custom rules for detecting threats. Firekeeper alerts the user whenever threats are detected and gives referance to more related information to this threat so the user can take action.
Installation is a very easy process since firefox add-on’s are just needed to be clicked once and download firekeeper.xpi from this firekeeper download page and install it, once installed you will need to restart the browser once. and the firekeeper icon will be displayed on the most right corner part of your status bar of firefox. This steps activate this add-on and whenever a website attacks your system, firekeeper alerts you so you can take necessary action.