How to Block Websites in Safari Browser
You can block any website using safari very easily with the OS X operating system’s what is called as built in parental controls. this can be easily achieved by setting up different individual accounts for each member of the family giving them different privileges. These parental controls do not block other web browsers like the Firefox from accessing various websites on the Mac. The best way to do this will be to block websites from safari and all other browsers by editing the hosts file in the Macintosh system and redirect the blocked websites addresses back to your local browser so that the browser can’t find them.
Let us see how to create a user account with parental controls.
1. Open the “systems preferences” utility that is located in the applications folder on OS.
2. Click the “accounts” icon in the system row.
3. Click the “lock” icon at the bottom of the accounts window to enable adding of a new account. Type your admin password when it is prompted.
4. Click the + plus sign in the lower left to add a new account.
5. Enter a name, short name, password, and the password again and a password hint. Do not check off the allow admin box as this would enable the user to have full access to the computer, including the adding and deleting of accounts.
6. Now click on the “create account”. Click on the “urn off automatic login” button when you are prompted to do so.
7. Click on the name of the new user in the list on the left side of the screen and click the “parent control” tab at the top of the screen.
8. Now click the check box next to safari and the configure button to the right. The system will tell you to login s the new user and open up safari to configure the sites that the user is allowed to visit.
9. Now return ti finder and select “log out” under the apple menu, and login as the new user.
10. Launch safari and then select the “preferences” and then “security” from the safari menu.
11. Click to uncheck the box next to “enable parental controls”. Now enter your admin password and close the preferences box.
12. Add book marks for all the allowed sites to the bookmarks bar and remove all other bookmarks.
13. Now return to safari and go to “preferences” and “security”. Check off the box for “enable parental controls” again and enter your admin password to lock in your changes. now you can see that only the sites that you have book marked will be accessible in this account.