PwnageTool 4.0 is finally out which is going to support the iPhone 3G, 3GS & iPod Touch 2G while other devices are not currently supported but very soon they can also be jailbroken. This tool works only with the official ipsw file and not with any prior developer versions ie iOS GM cannot be used. You need to download the respective ipsw file from the apple website and then run the PwnageTool 4.0 version. Currently it seems like this is completely available for mac users, while windows users need to wait for another update. You can download the latest version of this tool and then proceed with the installation which wont take more than 30mins to complete the whole process.
- iPhone 2G – not supported
- iPod Touch – not supported
- iPod Touch 3G – not supported
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
- If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
- If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
iPod touch 2G
- If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
How to Procedure & Steps :
Just install the latest version of iTunes and then Sync your iPhone with the iTunes application to backup all your data which includes settings, apps, music, contacts and photos. Next you need to download both the PwnageTool and iOS4 original Ipsw file to your desktop and keep them ready because you will need these while running the setup. Run the PwnageTool 4.0 in Simple mode because Expert mode gives you additional options which can confuse you.
Select the device ie iPhone or iPod Touch and then the application will automatically detect the correct firmware of your device. The tool would ask you this ‘Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?’ for which you need to click on NO. If you click on Yes then the baseband would be updated to the latest version and you will be locked to AT&T network.
Next the tool will create a new custom ipsw file and display a successful message when done showing ‘ihaz Success’. Now you need to restore this specific newly generated ipsw file through the iTunes application. For this connect the device to the computer and run the iTunes, then under the Devices > iPhone you will find a restore button. Press on alt + Restore button to make the iTunes prompt you to select the location for the custom firmware which you need to select and click on Open. Once this is done the iPhone will restart and the iPhone is completely successfully jailbroken.