For all Galaxy S GT I9000 owners, you have now got a reason to cheer as irrespective of which country or place you are from, you can now update your Galaxy S with the latest Gingerbread 2.3.3 version. Samsung’s Galaxy S is the third phone to get the latest Gingerbread version of 2.3.3 after Nexus S and Nexus One recently. With all the recent versions of 2.2 to 2.2.1 and also recent 2.3.2 there were several bugs which were reported which ranged from issues like language addition, non-working of Swype, low battery performance and also some of the users reported the problems of screen black outs after the call. But this version of 2.3.3 that is XXJVK is pretty much stable and doesn’t have any major issues like the earlier versions had, so let’s check out on how you can update your Galaxy S GT I9000 with the Gingerbread XXJVK 2.3.3 version.
So, i know that you must be really excited to go ahead and proceed for the update but before that, for a smooth update you will have to make sure that you follow some of the instructions which are very important or else you will completely mess up with your phone.
Instructions before flashing your Galaxy S with Gingerbread 2.3.3 XXJVK:
- Make sure that you have created a backup of all the applications as well as sms, contacts, applications, videos and images or photos as after the update process you will lose everything. After flashing the device you can restore the backed up contents.
- Please note that this update is only available for Galaxy S GT I9000 users and not for similar looking handsets like Captivate, Mesmerize or even fascinate, if you update your device with this firmware then your device may not run some of the functionalities.
- Ensure that you keep USB Cable, Samsung Galaxy S phone handy and also pull out the SIM card as well as the memory SD card and insert the same after flashing the device.
- Make sure that you have charged your phone to a minimum of 75% so that phone doesn’t get switched off in the middle of the firmware update.
- In the computer which you will flashing your device, make sure that you disable the firewalls or the antivirus if any and also ensure that you have the admin privileges to flash your device and also you will be requiring a minimum of USB 2.0.
- Ensure that the KIES software in your computer is completely closed in your computer.
Procedure to upgrade Galaxy S GT I9000 with Gingerbread 2.3.3 XXJVK:
- Before proceeding for upgrade, you will have to download the Gingerbread Package from your computer which will contain all the upgrade tools like Odin, PIT file, PDA file, Phone as well as the CSC file which. Just download and unzip the same. Note that if extraction of this package prompts for the password then you will have to enter the password as “androidadvices.com”.
- Now, after this switch off your phone and then ensure that you remove the SIM card as well as the SD card if any and also close the KIES completely in your computer.
- After this, you will have to now turn on your phone in the download mode which can be done by first switching off the phone and then hold the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device.
- After this you will see a green colored screen just like as shown below. Ensure that without this you don’t proceed if this screen doesn’t get turned on despite repeated attempts, basically the download mode acts like a safe mode for your phone.
- Now, after the download mode gets ON, open the Odin from your computer which is there in the unzipped folder which you have downloaded from the above link and then connect the Phone to the computer with the help of USB cable while Odin opened in the desktop. As soon as you connect the phone, you will see that first ID:COM box as shown below will turn yellow and in the message box you will see that it will show ADDED as shown in the screen shot below.
- · Now, after this without any changes, add the corresponding files as mentioned below as it is,
PIT – s1_odin_20100512.pit
PDA – PDA_XXJVK_Sbl.tar.md5
Phone – PHONE_XXJVK.tar.md5
CSC – CSC_OXAJVK.tar.md5
- It’s highly recommended that not to change any other settings as that may brick your device forever and your phone will be no less than an expensive paper weight. Ensure that the “Re-partition” option is not checked and also keep other options as they are by default.
- After double checking the entries, now click on the “Start” tab and while the update is in the process don’t plug out the USB cable or interrupt the installation upgrade process or else you will have to re follow the procedure to flash and also which is not recommended.
- The updation process will take 2-3 minutes and after the update the device will be rebooting by itself so no need to panic and till you see the home screen don’t pull out the USB cable as it will install the required files for the upgrade process.
- · Now, when the phone gets rebooted and finishes the Media scanning process, you will have to now switch off your device, insert the sim card, micro SD Card (if any) back into the device and need to turn on the device in the recovery mode which can be done by holding the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device.
- Now, in the recovery mode you need to clear the cache files which are unwanted clutter files which slows down the device. So, to get away with this, in the recovery mode you will have to select the options like Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition after which you need to reboot your device by selecting reboot system now after which your Galaxy S will be rebooting and is ready for the use.
So, that’s it you can now enjoy the latest firmware of 2.3.3 on your Galaxy S GT I9000.
To check on which version you are on then you will have to just tap on the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show 2.3.3.
Source : Gingerbread Upgrade Process at AndroidAdvices.com