Irfanview is a software for editing and viewing pictures. With Ms Paint you can only add limited effects to your image which are not professional. Irfanview is a higher end software than Ms Paint.
Irfanview is a freeware and it can be downloaded from any free download site or their homepage directly which is very light weighted.
Irfanview can view, edit and convert images and supported audio files. This works for Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7. It supports all image file formats like bmp, gif, jpeg, png, tiff and other non images formats like flash, ogg vorbis, mpeg, mp3 and midi.
With Ifranview you can do a lot of stuff over image without any other special knowledge and shortcut for each work makes the work easier for those who have once got hang it.
Adding Watermark on images with Irfanview
1. For adding watermark to the image, you need to select the portion where you want to your text to appear with your mouse.
2. After that you need to click on ‘Edit’ and then select ‘Insert Text Into Selection‘.
3. A window will appear before you asking to provide Text, append date, append copyright & append text. You can also choose to change the color of the text, font, style, script and the size which you want.
4. Once you have added to the original image then if don’t like it, you can go back Undo it and then re-enter the desired text which you want.
5. This is how the appended text looks like on the picture.
Another competitor software for view and edit images is FastStone Photo Editor & Resizer which performs almost the same operation as that of Irfanview. Also if you don’t feel likes it not so professional since both the above ones are freeware then you can go with Watermark Software which is a paid one for price of $24.90.