Logging into facebook is not always a normal action, as it poses some risk to the users who unknowingly login to facebook through the non-real pages, which are created by hackers who try to use some phishing tricks to steal the login data of that particular user trying to login to facebook.
A fake page is created for the Facebook login, and sent to the facebook user through their emails. Once the user tries to login by entering the credentials, all this data is transferred to the hacker. Its not just limited to users, but similar phishing problems have been seen with sites like Myspace, Orkut, Paypal etc. but as the user count of facebook is high, we see more victims of stolen information on facebook.
There are many ways using which a hacker can make the facebook user use that phishing page for logging into facebook. Once you try to login, there is an error message displayed that you can’t login and you would only find out that your account is hacked, and the login information is stolen.
The address of the Facebook login page is sent through email, or any web page, or sometimes there are some blackhat SEO techniques used to bring their pages on the top in search engines, so the users who search for the facebook login page in Google would open the phishing page which is on the top. Nothing is safe on the web, so you should confirm the web address that you are opening, and check if you are opening the correct Facebook login page.
Facebook login phishing can be prevented by following the tips :
- Better create bookmarks of the login pages of social networking sites, or directly type-in the address in the address bar which isn’t a hard task, rather than searching in the web and landing into the phishing login pages.
- Do not click on the links in emails. If there are any notifications, better login into the site directly and the same notifications would be there in the site, if any.
- Confidential data has to be shared only on websites which are secured.
- Install the internet security and anti-malware, anti-spyware softwares.
- Keep checking the bank account details, and also keep changing your password.
- Back up your data.
The above tips would help you a lot in keeping safe while logging into facebook.