Affiliate marketing is the practice of rewarding an affiliate (comprising a person, group of people, company or organization) by a business for the number of customers or visitors brought to it through the affiliate’s marketing efforts. In simple terms, it is the paying of commission for referring customers to a particular business. This is primarily an internet based activity.
Being a comparatively a new form of internet marketing, so far there has been a lack of standards to measure different affiliate marketing methods. Training and certification is practically non-existent and there has been little self regulation.
Which leads us to the point of why some affiliate marketing sites work so much better while many others don’t?
From the individual’s point of view the following areas could be a pointer on how successful that person is as an affiliate marketer:
- Join affiliate programs that interest you. That way you would have the interest to research, know and possibly even buy the product to experience it. Becoming an expert would be to the person’s benefit.
- Make a sincere effort to know your audience. By doing this you would be able to relate to the customers and position the product suitably. It goes without saying that being truthful and helpful adds to the site’s credibility.
- The use of your own website allows for customisation. Differentiation, especially if the person is good at designing the site, would pull in more customers and viewers. Having reciprocal links with other marketers in the niche can be a double-edged sword; if the marketer is new to this format, it can reap benefits, but for more mature sites, stand-alone might be the better option.
- Notwithstanding the above, joining forums and discussion boards helps. You can then devise customer centric solutions and have better participation.
- Having your own newsletter and / or an e-zine always allows your site to stand out especially if you have an outstanding presentation.
- Having your own email list reduces the risk of your page being recorded as a spamming site. It also allows the individual to target the most appropriate customers, increasing the strike-rate.
- Having an auto-responder program connected to the site would help save time for the individual to pursue more creative work.
- The individual writing timeless but relevant articles and posting these on a separate page o the website would stand out. Most customers who are interested in a particular product would be looking for the additional information.
- Provide good content to whatever you put on the website. Select material carefully and keep changing as and when required. In this fast changing world, with all the options, don’t get left behind!
- You may have to try different programs before you hit on the right ones (or basket). However do give each its rightful space, before moving on.
- Be patient – the rewards may not be immediate, but the sincere effort (and a bit of luck) will lead to Success
Guest Article Writer – Keshav Pai, who is from Mangalore, is an Accomplished and Top Internet Marketer for past many years and trains both Beginners and Pros around the globe to Make Money Online.